Sunday, August 15, 2021

My Net Worth Grew 29% past 21 months during this health pandemic

It has been 21 months since the onset of Covid-19 health pandemic in Dec 2019.

The world is nowhere near defeating nor overcoming this deadly and contagious virus.

Lives and livelihoods have been greatly impacted by this crisis.

I am very grateful for the opportunities brought about by this crisis and thankful to be still alive and fully vaccinated now.

To be honest, this pandemic has not much of an impact on my life since I rarely dine out in coffeeshops, restaurants, visit the gyms, cinemas and engage in social activities. The biggest impact to me perhaps is not being able to utilise my vacation leave to travel overseas for holidays.

I decided to review and share on how my net worth grew by 29% over the past 21 months during this pandemic.

In Dec 2019, my net worth was $833k. It surpassed $1m in Dec 2020 and steadily grew to $1.13m in Aug 21, apart from a dip in Mar 2020.

During the pandemic, I continued to live frugally, saving up whatever I could while mostly working from home and invest consistently in the stock market. I indulge in free leisure activities such as watching Youtube, exercising in the park, hanging around in the malls (mostly which I own through Reits). I did little to boost the economy by not splurging on items that I do not need.

As I am fortunate to remain employed in the resilient IT industry throughout this period, my CPF savings grew steadily too. At the beginning of every year in Jan 2020 and Jan 2021, it always bumped up due to the credit of CPF interests. CPF is the only asset class that could preserve our wealth by not allowing us to touch it easily. However, it could still be used to pay for property purchase and my CPF savings dipped slightly in Jun 2021 due to using it for HDB BTO downpayment.


Have a plan. Remain invested in good income-producing and growth businesses. Stay on track towards financial freedom.

Thanks for reading. As always, stay safe and remain strong.


With love & peace, 
Qiongster

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

2020 was the best year in decade for stock, Everyone bought make big money, I was up 5X till this correction which took away some 35% of my profit. Going forward i do not expect market to give return equal to that of 2020, I expect market going into some serious correction with inflation gg up by 100% to 5.4% in July from March, Good luck, I am selling half to take advantage of the correction,

Qiongster said...

Agreed. All good things must come to an end. Then the cycle repeats. Good luck!