Thursday, July 16, 2020

Possible to buy lunch with $2 in Singapore?


Buying lunch with $2 in 2020 in Singapore?

It is actually possible. 

Many hawker centres in Singapore generally offer affordable meals. 

I got my packed rice from a mixed vegetable stall in Kim Keat hawker, Toa Payoh Lorong 7 for $2!


Rice with fried dory fish and vegetables. 

My humble and frugal meal for a cheapo me. 

For 20 cents more, there will be one more vegetables.

For 50 cents more, one more meat. 

For 80 cents more, one more veggie and one more meat. 

Too bad I only have $2 in my wallet. Other payment modes are not accepted. Only cash.

No wonder this stall has the longest queue in the hawker centre. 

Cheap, affordable value meals at its best for the workers, low income and elderly. 


Similar to hunting for undervalued stocks to invest in, I enjoy undervalued meals to beat inflation and boost my savings rate, especially during recession and uncertain times now amidst a global health pandemic.

I do not crave for overpriced dining in restaurants but I enjoy collecting dividends from the Reits that own the land upon which the restaurants reside. 

I believe Singapore is still a relatively cheap for food and essentials but expensive for large items like car and housing.

In this capitalist society, it is important to be frugal, to save up and boost emergency funds and war chests to own more income producing assets so as to always be well prepared for retirement, rainy days or retrenchment which will be a popular corporate action in the coming future, if not to achieve financial freedom ASAP. 

Thanks for reading. 

With Love & Peace, 
Qiongster




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come 1 more veg is 20cents
1 more meat is 50cents

but 1 veg 1 meat is 80cents?

Also, it means white rice is $1.2?
The price is cheap, but the pricing of that stall dont make alot of sense..

Qiongster said...

$2.20 for 2 veg 1 meat
$2.50 for 1 veg 2 meats
$2.80 for 2 veg 2 meats